In an update released on Thursday, the ministry said it erroneously recorded a result in Bulawayo as a new case when in actual fact it was a retest on a patient that had previously tested positive for Covid-19.
Explaining how the error occurred, acting provincial medical director Welcome Mlilo told the Daily News on Sunday that they mistakenly recorded the case as a positive after the laboratory concluded that one sample was inconclusive.
“When one sample came back inconclusive, we did a re-run of all the 101 samples and they were all negative. So Bulawayo still has 10 cases not 11,” Mlilo said.
Following his death, everyone at the home was immediately placed under isolation.
Mlilo said the Bulawayo City Council’s rapid response team initially collected 101 samples at Qalisa.
“We followed up and collected specimens which were tested using CPR machine at the national TB Reference Lab and again, all results came back negative.