State wants to try Joana Mamombe separately

0 1,943

THE State is seeking to separate the alleged fake abduction trial of MDC Alliance youth leaders Joana
Mamombe, Cecilia Chimbiri and Netsai Marowa.
Mamombe is receiving treatment at a mental health institution after regional magistrate Bianca Makwande ruled that she is not fit to stand trial. As a result, the State wants to proceed with Chimbiri and Marowa’s trial.

State counsel Whisper Mabhaudhi appearing together with Michael Reza yesterday told the court that they intended to put the two on trial within a reasonable time hence their application for separation.

The trio, represented by Alec Muchadehama and Jeremiah Bamu, said the State was “crying more than the bereaved” as the two, Chimbiri and Marowa had not complained about the delay.

Muchadehama argued that the three’s trial cannot be separated as their evidence is intertwined and that it would
be costly for them to appear separately.

He also submitted that no medical report had been presented before the court to show how Mamombe was responding to treatment.

Reza submitted that the State had evidence against the three and GPS data from their mobile numbers would
show where they were on the day of the alleged abduction.

He said they were collectively accused, but each one would face trial according to their mobile numbers. Makwande said she would deliver a ruling on the State application on Thursday after she gets a progress report on Mamombe from doctors.

Allegations against the three are that on May 13 at around 12.30pm the accused and other MDC-Alliance youths
gathered at Choppies Supermarket in Warren Park 1, Harare, and staged a demonstration against the recalling of
their party MPs from Parliament and the alleged misuse of Covid-19 funds by the government.

After the demonstration, the State claimed the three made false claims that they had been abducted.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.