SENIOR STAFF WRITER
Zimbabwe has recorded a reduced percentage of Covid-19 recoveries since the start of the second wave of the pandemic due to a stretched health care delivery system, a government official has said.
As of Saturday, the country has a recovery rate of 59 percent following 458 recoveries from the active cases.
This is a very low percentage compared to the over 90 percent recovery rate recorded during the first wave of the pandemic last year.
National chief Covid-19 coordinator in President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s office, Agnes Mahomva, pictured, said the dip in recovery statistics is attributed to the fact that health workers are currently concentrating on the severe cases.
“Many have expressed concern over the reported low recovery rate in recent daily reports.
“At the peak of the first wave in July 2020, recovery rates were reported as above 90 percent on average but by the end of the day yesterday (Friday), the nation’s recovery rates were reported as 56,3 percent.
“The recent surge in cases has put a big strain on provincial teams tracking cases in order to appropriately and timely classify the cases’ clinical status and due to these large numbers, provincial teams prioritise tracking of moderate to severely ill Covid-19 cases as they need urgent medical attention.
“Delayed tracking of positive cases that are generally well with no signs and symptoms but isolating and recovering at home has resulted in some recovered cases being included in the national recovery statistics a bit late hence giving an impression that the national recovery rate is low,” Mahomva said.
This comes as more Zimbabweans continue to die from the lethal virus.
The country’s death toll as of yesterday stood at 683.
Since the start of the year, the country has been recording fatalities in the double figures, with at least 200 people losing their lives in the past seven days.
On January 5, authorities invoked a hard lockdown in the wake of soaring deaths and the rapid spread of the deadly virus.
The reversion to a strict lockdown saw authorities re-introducing a fresh dusk-to-dawn curfew.
In addition, the operations of all businesses — except those providing essential services — were once again suspended for 30 days.