Sadomba calls for discipline

876

©️ FORMER Dynamos captain Edward Sadomba has urged local footballers to treasure their careers by exercising discipline during the current lockdown due to the coronavirus (Covid-19) which has brought the entire world to a standstill. 

The 2020 Castle Lager Premiership season was supposed to have kicked-off last month but the spread of the novel virus made it impossible.

With the disease continuing to spread globally and Zimbabwe reporting one death and eight confirmed cases so far, the government stepped up measures with a nationwide lockdown for 21 days which started on Monday.

While some of the clubs had already cancelled their preseason schedules as a precautionary measure to curb the spread of the virus, the lockdown by the government applies to everyone while only certain individuals from critical sectors are allowed free movement during this period.

It is not clear yet when the outbreak will end and Sadomba has encouraged the current crop of local players to be disciplined by making sure they stay at home while following their clubs’ personalised training schedules.

“First of all, Covid-19 is a very dangerous disease and we must not take it lightly. Life is very different for us all at the moment and sport rightfully stands aside to support a more important cause during these unprecedented times.

“The 2020 Castle Lager Premiership season was supposed to have been started but football is insignificant as we are all in the midst of a global battle.

“My advice to those in sport especially soccer is to keep yourself fit by staying away from things that will take away your fitness. Do some individual training, drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated,” Sadomba told the Daily News yesterday.

Last month before the lockdown came into effect, Sadomba’s successor at DeMbare Partson Jaure was involved in a car crash near Prince Edward School at 2am.

The defender is currently recovering from a delicate surgery on his skull after he suffered severe head and facial injuries in the crash.

Jaure is expected to be out for the next three months as he embarks on his recovery path.

Sadomba also feels the government did well by imposing the lockdown as life is more valuable than anything else during such a pandemic.

“Life is more precious than anything else. I think the president did well by this lockdown to curb the spread of the disease. I also want to give credit to the police, nurses and everyone else for working tirelessly in fighting this disease.

“Let’s all obey what we are being told to do like social distancing and wash hands regularly. Again, I would like to say God is in control and very soon it will end,” the former Warriors forward said.

Sadomba hung his boots at the end of last season having made a sensational return to DeMbare for the 2019 season almost a decade after leaving the Harare giants.

The veteran striker was lured by former coach Lloyd “Mablanyo” Chigowe to help mentor some of the team’s youngsters in the Glamour Boys’ bid to assemble a competitive outfit following the departure of several senior players the previous season.

The 36-year-old saw it fit to end his career by at least featuring for the club, which gave him the platform before his career path took him to South Africa, Mozambique, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Libya.

Sadomba made a name for himself whilst at Dynamos helping the Harare giants reach the semi-finals of the Caf Champions League competition in 2008, which eventually saw him court the attention of foreign-based clubs.

Last season, though, did not go entirely according to plan as he was forced to spend much of the time on the sidelines owing to injuries. As a result, Sadomba played a handful of matches.

 

Copyright ©️ 2020 Associated Newspapers of Zimbabwe. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |Privacy Policy
By accessing dailynews.co.zw you are agreeing to the Daily News’ content terms and conditions. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you should not use dailynews.co.zw or any of the Daily News’ content, including in print.
Sharing illegally sourced Daily News premium content without permission is a serious breach of the Daily News’ Terms and Conditions (T&Cs), as well as Copyright Policy. Legal action will be taken against those who transgress these T&Cs and Copyright Policy.
This website and other ANZ platforms are provided “as is”, and make no express or implied representations or warranties of any kind relating to all the materials contained on the various platforms.

Permission to republish articles can be directed to:
Email:  letters@dailynews.co.zw

Comments are closed.