ZIMBABWE Cricket (ZC) chairperson Tavengwa Mukuhlani is confident they will be granted permission for the Chevrons to tour Pakistan during this coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.
Since the global outbreak of the novel virus, the government banned all sporting activities in March including incoming or outward bound tours for all national teams.
However, Zimbabwe is scheduled tour Pakistan in November where they will play ODIs and three T20I matches.
Recently, the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) granted ZC permission for the team to resume training but a decision has not been made yet whether the Pakistan tour will go ahead.
Mukuhlani takes heart from the fact that international cricket has returned with a number of countries having already started honouring their engagements.
“…..cricket is being played day-in-day out; England have hosted the West Indies and they have gone on to play Pakistan.
“Recently, we had the Caribbean Premier League (CBL) where one of our star players Sikandar Raza won the title with Trinbago Knight Riders.
“We are going to witness the start of the Indian Premier League (IPL) soon so the game is being played the world over and it is our hope that in their wisdom the powers that be will find it fit to allow our team to partake in this fixture against Pakistan,’ Mukuhlani told the Daily News yesterday.
Zimbabwe has played very limited international cricket in the last 18 months due to a number of reasons and the Covid-19 pandemic has not helped matters.
“The players have endured frustrating periods right from the period we were suspended by the ICC and then Covid-19 struck so it is a tour that provides them with the much-needed game time as well as to cheer up their souls.
“This is for our country, we are not doing this for ourselves; this is not a Mukuhlani issue or anybody at ZC.
“From where I stand, we have done well as an association to allow for the growth and development of the game while at the same time ensuring game time for our national teams irrespective of gender,” Mukuhlani said.
With the team scheduled to fly out of Harare on October 20, time is no longer on ZC’s side as a decision has to be made.
“The team started training in anticipation of the tour but we could be as well wasting money in the event that we are not allowed to travel.
“Secondly, there are limited flights but we don’t know whether we should go ahead and book the tickets or not.
“Even our intended hosts Pakistan don’t know how they should handle all the logistics because we haven’t given them the green light, everything pretty much hinges upon the government at this stage.”