HARARE – Primary and Secondary Education ministry spokesperson Patrick Zumbo has said schools will not open anytime soon, contrary to a schedule doing rounds on social media, the Daily News can report.
Zumbo said discussions were still underway and once they were finalised with all relevant stakeholders, schools would be opened in phases.
“The one circulating on social media is fake. We are yet to come up with the actual dates which we will happily share with all our stakeholders. Obviously, it will start with exam classes and will take on a phased approach as previously stated by the ministry,” Zumbo said.
Last term, schools closed two weeks earlier than scheduled after President Emmerson Mnangagwa announced the first lockdown that started on March 30.
Mnangagwa noted that schools would be opened in due course after consultations with all interested parties and careful consideration of the health risks and implications due to the coronavirus.
The ministry announced recently that they would open schools in five phases, allowing those with exams in June to start.
“Phase 1 examination classes opening on June 26. Phase 2 summative classes of Grade 6, Form 3 and Form 5 to open on July 14, phase 3 other classes namely grades 3, 4, 5 and forms 1 and 2 to open on July 28,” read part of the schedule.
The schedule also stated that Phase 4 infant classes of grades 1 and 2 will open on August 8, while the final phase will be ECDs who will open on September 1.