Matutu loses farm ownership
The High Court has ruled that former Zanu PF deputy youth league secretary Lewis Matutu, who was embroiled in a Kwekwe farm ownership wrangle, was allocated the property in error, as it had already been given to the current occupier Onisimo Zhavairo.
This was after Matutu, with the assistance of Zanu PF youths, had violently grabbed the farm from Zhavairo.
High Court judge Pisirayi Kwenda’s January 29, 2020 ruling, confirmed a provisional order in Zhavairo’s favour, handed down on December 27, last year.
In his judgment, Kwenda said that Matutu’s offer letter was issued in error. He urged the Lands ministry to come up with a system which guards against double allocation of farms.
Matutu had claimed ownership of the farm through an offer letter which was issued to him in August last year.
However, Zhavairo told the court that he was the legitimate owner of the farm known as Subdivision 7 of Benhunts Kraal, which is located along the Kwekwe-Mvuma Road which was invaded by Matutu and a group of Zanu PF youths on December 19, 2019.
Zhavairo, who claimed to have been on the farm for the past 14 years, said he was given an offer letter by the government in November 2005.
When the group invaded the farm, they reportedly slaughtered a pig and four goats which they ate, before they allegedly started harvesting butternuts.