Manyuchi to camp in Zambia

335

REIGNING World Boxing Federation middleweight champion Charles Manyuchi is scheduled to leave for Zambia next week for a month-long camp ahead of his title defence against Ugandan boxer Muhamad Sebyala on April 3, in Harare.

Manyuchi won the WBF title after dismissing Argentine fighter Diego Gallardo via a third round TKO at the Harare International Conference Centre (HICC) last September and since then he has been out of the ring.

The 30-year-old with a record of 24-15-4-1 is not leaving any stone unturned in his bid to retain his title hence the reason to camp in Zambia, where he will work under some of the respected trainers such as Greetings Kaonga.

Manyuchi once worked with Kaonga during his days at the famed Oriental Quarries Boxing Promotions, where he rose to become WBC (silver) welterweight champion.

Initially, the bout was been pencilled for the City Sports Centre but yesterday Manyuchi told the Daily News that there could be changes to the venue with HICC the likely destination.

“We had settled for City Sports as the venue for the fight but there could be changes in the coming few days and we will let you know of the developments. Efforts are underway to bring the fight to HICC,” Manyuchi said.

“I’m not expecting an easy fight this time around so I need to prepare well. And next week, I will be leaving for Zambia where I will undergo rigorous preparations to ensure I will be ready for the bout.

“I have been out of the ring for some time now and I need to shed weight among other things. I hope to use my time in Zambia to put myself back in shape.

“Of course, I do not know much about my next opponent but from what I have gathered, he is a good boxer.”

Manyuchi, who now fights under his own stable, the Charles Manyuchi Boxing Academy, is also the holder of Universal Boxing Union lnter-Continental, the Global Boxing Union and the WBF world titles.

Comments are closed.