Manyuchi fight called off

0 563

CHARLES Manyuchi has been forced to call off his fight against Ugandan boxer Muhamad Sebyala following the government’s directive to ban all sporting activities as a precautionary measure to curb the spread of the global pandemic — coronavirus (Covid-19).

While the country is yet to report a confirmed case of the deadly virus, President Emmerson Mnangagwa saw it fit to implement stringent measures aimed at ensuring the country remains free of coronavirus.

Manyuchi was scheduled to take on Sebyala on April 3 at the Harare International Conference Centre (HICC) in a World Boxing Federation and World Africa Boxing Association middleweight unification fight.

“We are provisionally moved to a later date. There is nothing we can do really. The situation is not conducive to host the fight now,” Manyuchi told the Daily News.

“It’s a global pandemic and it has affected everyone. We are just praying that things get better soon. Preparations were at an advanced stage with tickets bought and everything paid for.”
Manyuchi, however, said he will continue working in the gym to keep himself in shape.

“I’m not stopping training. I will continue training while monitoring the situation,” he said.

Manyuchi won the WBF title after dismissing Argentine fighter Diego Gallardo via a third round TKO at HICC in September last year and since then he has been out of the ring.

The 30-year-old (W24-KO15; L4; D1), who fights under his own stable, the Charles Manyuchi Boxing Academy, has been in camp for the past month and efforts were underway to see him go and intensify preparations in Zambia with Greetings Kaonga.

Manyuchi once worked with Kaonga during his days at the famed Oriental Quarries Boxing Promotions, where he rose to become WBC Silver Welterweight champion.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.