Headmen appeal sacking for not backing Zanu PF
SIX Hurungwe West headmen who were allegedly expelled during the run-up to the 2018 elections for not supporting then aspiring Zanu PF MP, the late Keith Guzah, have approached the High Court seeking to nullify the decision.
The headmen, Member Mutinha, Aleck Munhava, Alton Manjonjo, Morgan Gora, Nobo Mahobo and Taurai Machipisa, are suing Chief Nyamhunga (Boniface Chinehasha), the Hurungwe district administrator, the Mashonaland West provincial administrator, Chiefs Council president Fortune Charumbira and Local Government minister July Moyo.
They also want the decision to deprive them of their benefits declared unlawful, null and void.
The court heard that during the 2015 election campaign in Hurungwe West constituency, Mutinha and his colleagues declined to back Guzah against Temba Mliswa.
During a campaign rally held on April 26, 2015 …, then Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo accused Mutinha and his colleagues of not supporting Zanu PF and openly announced that they were no longer suitable to be village leaders, the court heard.
Chief Nyamhunga subsequently expelled Mutinha and his colleagues as headmen.
Mutinha said after making efforts to get clarity on their expulsion, they discovered that their positions had been filled up.
“At that time, the benefits and stipends I and my co-applicants were receiving were scrapped without notice or explanation. This whole corollary unfolded notwithstanding the settled position of the law with regards removal of traditional leaders,” Mutinha said.
“I am most aggrieved in that no charge of misconduct was ever levelled against me or any of my co-applicants other than our alleged refusal to participate in partisan politics and furthering the fortunes of one political party.”