CAPS United have become the first Castle Lager Premiership team to suspend any training activities amidst the ongoing global coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak.
Zimbabwe has so far recorded one death and two positive tests of the lethal virus which was first reported in Wuhan, China last November.
On a global scale, at least
15 000 have lost their lives while 350 000 have been effected by the virus with doctors and scientists struggling to come up with a vaccine.
Last week, President Emmerson Mnangagwa announced new measures to stop the spread of the disease which saw a ban on all public gatherings and sporting events with over 100 people.
The 2020 season was expected to have kicked-off last weekend but those plans had to be aborted until the spread of the novel virus is under control.
While most clubs have been taking a lackadaisical approach in dealing with this virus, Makepekepe have taken a proactive role by suspending all their training activities and ensuring their players are not in danger.
“Amid crisis of the Covid-19 pandemic that has penetrated into the country, the management at CAPS United FC has, with immediate effect, decided to temporarily suspended all training programmes as we join the rest of the world in trying to avoid further spread of the virus.
“Resumption of activities will be announced as and when the situation normalise. We urge our playing staff, non-playing staff and all our stakeholders to adhere to health and safety measures as prescribed by the relevant authorities,” CAPS administrator Morton Dodzo said in a statement yesterday.
World-over, most sporting activities have come to a halt due to the devastating effects of the coronavirus.
The major European football leagues in England, Italy, Spain, France and Germany are currently in lockdown with no date yet when they will resume.
The English Premier League had hoped to continue behind closed doors but everything changed when Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea winger Callum Hodson-Odoi all tested positive for the virus.
Arteta tested positive for Covid-19 on March 12 and, the following day, the league was put on hold with an initial return date of April 4.
That has been extended to at least April 30 as the crisis continues to escalate, but Arteta is feeling better and explained how the situation came about.
“Everything happened very fast,” Arteta told the Spanish television channel La Sexta yesterday.
“On Tuesday afternoon I was feeling so-so and I went to see the doctor but he wasn’t there.
“I got a call from the board of directors after training while I was in my car and they told me the president of Olympiakos had tested positive and everyone who had been in contact was at risk.
“I went on to tell them that I wasn’t feeling well and that we had a situation because we had lots of players that had been in contact with them.
“We had a game against Manchester City the next day and obviously we couldn’t put lots of people at risk without saying anything.”