DeMbare accident survivor’s ordeal

1

HARARE – A Dynamos football fan injured in the accident which claimed the lives of eight others is battling to settle hospital bills after surviving Saturday’s horror crash.

This is despite numerous calls of assistance made by National Football Association president Phillip Chiyangwa, CAPS President Farai Jere and Dynamos president Kenni Mubaiwa.

However, nothing has come the way of Faith Nyakwava, who was fortunate to escape with her life, but not before sustaining injuries that requires ex-rays and medical attention she cannot afford.

Nyakwava had been in high spirits when she boarded a minibus bound for Ascot Stadium in Gweru to cheer on her beloved Glamour Boys against Chapungu.

But her joy quickly turned into despair when the minibus burst its rear tyre and veered off the road before overturning and killing seven passengers on the spot near Battlefields.

The staunch Dynamos supporter says she still has nightmares whenever she recalls the grisly scene that preceded the accident before she was rushed to Kwekwe General Hospital.

“I was discharged from hospital as they said I was okay but when I got home I failed to sleep,” she told the Daily News yesterday.

“The next day I went to Parirenyatwa where I was told I need ex-rays for my chest, my back and my hip.

“I had one taken at Harare hospital, but the doctor at Parirenyatwa says it needs to be redone as it is not clear.”

The Nyabira-based street vendor now fears for the wellbeing of her three children who she is failing to provide for since being handicapped by the accident.

“I’m a vendor. My children rely on me but at the moment I am failing to provide food for them because of my situation,” said the 28-year-old single mother.

“For the ex-rays alone, I need about $30 for each; I actually owe Harare hospital $35 for the ex-ray I had taken there.”

Asked if she has received any assistance after varying pledges made by individuals and clubs, she said: “They are just saying but so far no one has helped me.”

Naturally she would be forgiven for regretting embarking on the ill-fated trip to Gweru, but the single mother of three children said she is not easily discouraged.

“I don’t regret, there is nothing I should regret, it’s God who plans all things,” she said.

Although she is still in pain, Nyakwava thanks the Lord as she is still alive.

Police on Monday released names of the five of the victims of the accident; Peter Maemba, male (34), Spencer Gwasira, male (50) of Mt Darwin, Mahwupete Rukudzo, female (43) of Budiriro, Prince Nheweyembwa, male (34) and Last Nezandonyi, male (29) of Kambuzuma.

Galelio Muchemwa passed away on Monday after succumbing to his injuries at Parirenyatwa while police are still to identify two of the victims, whose bodies are still at Kwekwe hospital mortuary.

Comments are closed.