Bulawayo win battle of Cities


SAJUBVA – Bulawayo City emerged victorious against Mutare City Rovers in a battle of the new boys during a Castle Lager Premiership match here yesterday.

A first half strike from Mkhululi Moyo was enough for Philani “Beefy” Ncube’s men to claim all three points to move into sixth place on the log with 14 points.

Moyo found the back of the net in the 12th minute after City had bombarded the Magusha goal straight from kick-off.

From there on, Bulawayo City never looked like they would concede as they held on to collect maximum points.

Mutare City coach Taku Shariwa once again bemoaned his side’s defensive frailties for yesterday’s loss.

“We conceded a silly goal. We failed to clear a throw-in,” a distraught Shariwa said.

“We tried to come back into the game and played well in the second half but unfortunately a game of football is won by scoring goals.”

Ncube felt his experience in the dugout won the day ahead of Shariwa, who is still learning the ropes in the top flight.

“There is a difference between a junior coach and a senior coach; an experienced coach and an inexperienced coach,” Dube said in a jibe aimed at Shariwa with whom he had clashed before the match.

“Tactically we were superior. It was a game of two halves; we dominated in the first half but defended well in the second.”

The visitors virtually camped in their hosts’ half from the onset and were dully rewarded when a disorganised Magusha defence failed to clear a long throw-in with Moyo poking the ball home past a flat-footed Phillip Nhete.

Bulawayo City could have added another in the 18th minute but Moyo’s low cross which caused anxious moments in the home side’s box was eventually cleared.

Magusha’s best effort came five minutes before the break but Russell Madamombe’s shot from outside the box was always rising and curving away from goal.

Outplayed and outgunned, the hosts went to the breather a goal down.

They, however, came back for the second period a better side and were given an opportunity to draw level after winning a free-kick in a promising position but fluffed their lines.

Substitutes Kudakwashe Future and Elisha Chimhaka also took turns to sky their efforts under pressure from within the penalty box.

Stephen Sibanda also came close in added time but his snap shot through a crowded defence was pushed out for a corner.

Meanwhile, Moses Chunga won his first match as Harare City coach when his side defeated Ngezi Platinum Stars 2-1 in a league match at Baobab Stadium yesterday.

Comments are closed.