Winning start for Gumbo


MUTARE – Defending champions Chicken Inn finally remembered how to win a match after defeating Mutare City Rovers 3-1  in Rahman Gumbo’s first match in charge of the club yesterday.

Gumbo took over the reins at the Gamecocks after Joey Antipas signed a deal to take charge of South Africa National First Division side Amazulu.

Before yesterday’s game, the Gamecocks had lost to ZPC Kariba, Bulawayo City and Triangle in successive matches.  

But yesterday, the Bulawayo side returned to winning ways after goals from Moses Demera, George Majika and Edmore Chirambadare broke the Rovers’ resolve.

The home side scored their consolation goal through Kudakwashe Gurure.

An excited Gumbo said he was happy to break his side’s three-match winless run after the match.

“What else could I have wanted…I’m happy for my boys after three consecutive defeats,” Gumbo said.

Mutare City Rovers gaffer Taku Shariwa had no kind words for his sloppy defenders.

“We made defensive errors and which we could not afford against the defending champions as we were dully punished…We may have played well but we were unfair to ourselves by giving away soft goals,” Shariwa said.

He however, remained optimistic that a win can turn their situation around as the bottom teams are closely staked.

“One win can change everything. Look at Dynamos who were below us. They climbed to eighth on the log from second from bottom with only one win,” Shariwa added.

Chicken Inn settled first when Demera was gifted the opener following a mix-up between City goalkeeper Phillip Nhete and defender Collen Muzawazi.

The home side defender intended to head back to his goalkeeper but he did not put much power into his effort.

In the end, with Nhete scrambling to get to the ball, Demera got there first to give his side the lead.

To their credit, the municipal police side kept their cool and Gurure steadied their ship when he weaved past a number of defenders before firing in the equaliser past Elvis Chipezeze on the 31st minute.

After the break, Majika restored the Gamecocks’ lead in the 58th minute after reacting first when Nhete had punched onto the upright post his initial shot with the Magusha defence ball watching.

The visitors were to put the game beyond their stubborn hosts with second half substitute Chirambadare’s beauty.

Chirambadare rode numerous tackles as he worked his way past four Mutare City Rovers defenders to rifle home a scorcher that beat Nhete hands down.

Comments are closed.