Bosso, City draw


BULAWAYO – Highlanders needed a late equaliser from new-signing Kasimero Chimbadzwa to earn a point against wasteful Harare City yesterday to return to second place on the Castle Lager Premiership log.

With yesterday’s draw, Bosso are now level on 14 points with CAPS United but the Bulawayo giants have a superior goal difference.

Bosso and Makepekepe both trail log leaders FC Platinum by five points.

Yesterday, Harare City dominated the greater part of the match and should have collected maximum points had they utilised the chances they created throughout the match.

Harare City went into the lead after only 20 minutes when Martin Vengesai raced onto Farai Madhanaga’s through ball to beat Bosso keeper Ariel Sibanda.

Sibanda came off his line to try and make the angle tight for Vengesai but the City forward made no mistake to give his side the lead.

The goal came immediately after Bosso had been forced to withdraw defender Tendai Ndlovu through injury after he had collided with fellow teammate Eric Mudzingwa.

The injury-inspired substitution seemed to have affected the hosts as coach Erol Akbay was forced to shift anchor-man Mudzingwa to centre back after he had brought in midfielder Adrian Silla.

From there on, Bosso struggled in the midfield as they lacked rhythm.

City remained dangerous each time they moved forward with the combination of Vengesai and Francisco Zikumbawire proving difficult for the Bosso rearguard.

However, the Sunshine Boys have themselves to blame after they failed to utilise the numerous scoring opportunities they created.

In the second period, Bosso had a chance to equalise after Silla dashed on the right flank before sending in a dangerous cross into the area.

Rahman Kutsanzira made a run into the box to meet Silla’s cross but fluffed the chance by directing his effort wide from close range.

With Bosso frantically searching for an equaliser, City had several chances on the break but they failed to find the second goal.

Taurai Mangwiro’s men were made to pay for those misses when substitute Chimbadzwa equalised for the home side.

City keeper Tafadzwa Dube punched a Benson Phiri shot back into play and the ball fell kindly on the foot of Chimbadzwa, who did not miss from close range.

After the goal, the game became so tense with both teams seeking to get a late winner.

However, Arnold Chiveya found himself face-to-face with Sibanda in added time but he delayed taking a shot allowing defender Felix Chindungwe to recover and clear the ball out of danger.

After the match, City coach Mangwiro was disappointed with how his side wasted many chances that came their way.

“We could have killed the game as a contest but somehow they equalised. What we lacked was that killer instinct in the final third,” he said.

“I feel that this was a game that we should have collected maximum points if we had used the chances we created.”

Highlanders coach Akbay said: “In the first half the players were not moving at all. In the second half we played better football. We were reacting too late every time.”

Comments are closed.