Same old DeMbare as violence mars Platinum victory


HARARE – The Rufaro Stadium car park yesterday resembled a war zone as disgruntled Dynamos supporters fought running battles with police following their team’s 1-0 defeat to FC Platinum.

The Glamour Boys’ fans were baying for club president Kenni Mubaiwa’s blood after the defeat condemned their side to 15th place on the Castle Lager Premiership log.

DeMbare, who have won once this season, sacked Portuguese coach Paulo Jorge Silva last week to replace him with his assistant Lloyd Mutasa but the move did not bring an instant remedy.

FC Platinum, who had not won against DeMbare in Harare in the league since their promotion in 2011, scored the solitary goal when Gift Bello headed home a corner kick by full back Elvis Moyo in the 21st minute.

The former DeMbare defender did not celebrate his goal which ensured his side returned to the top of the log with 16 points..

DeMbare never recovered after conceding despite a spirited second half onslaught on Petros Mhari’s goal.

Right at the death, the Glamour Boys’ players protested heavily against the decision by referee Brighton Chimene not to award them a penalty kick after Bello had handled a goal-bound shot from Carlos Rusere.

It was a correct decision by the Rusape-based match official since Bello’s hand was in a natural position when it was struck by the shot.   

At the final whistle, the Dynamos fans gave a rare standing ovation to their opponents something that is hardly seen at their home matches.

From there, the unruly home side fans converged at the Rufaro main entrance where they turned their attention to the club’s executive as they sang songs denouncing Mubaiwa, who was not present at the match venue.

The fans were demanding Mubaiwa to immediately step down from leading the club as they blamed their current slump on his failure to invest in the squad.

FC Platinum’s convoy comprising the team bus and their executive’s vehicles was allowed to leave the venue without any incident by the DeMbare fans.

The real target of their umbrage was the DeMbare executives, who were holed up inside the stadium. 

And when the police tried to disperse the rowdy crowd, missiles of all sorts came raining down to spark off a cat and mouse game which lasted for over an hour.

A number of fans were injured in the process while some vehicles in the car park were stoned.

What incensed the crowd was the fact that Dynamos security marshals, who were helping the police restore order, were also throwing missiles in the direction of the fans.

At one point, the officers from the Zimbabwe Republic Police K9 unit and their dogs had to scurry for cover in the stadium as they were driven back by the missiles. As a last resort, the police had to use teargas to disperse the crowd.

Comments are closed.