No trial date yet for CAPS skipper


HARARE – A Harare magistrate and lawyers failed yesterday to set a trial date for CAPS United skipper Method Mwanjali, facing charges of allegedly stabbing an individual during a brawl.

Mwanjali was with teammate Archieford Gutu when he allegedly stabbed the man twice in the stomach after a disagreement at the Long Cheng Plaza Shopping Mall in Harare last month, with the victim understood to have suffered serious injuries and requiring surgery.

Gutu is facing charges of malicious damage to property.

Provincial magistrate Vakai Chikwekwe yesterday met with defence lawyers and prosecutors to discuss a new trial date for Mwanjali.

Prosecutors said they needed a week to ascertain if the critically injured victim is now fit to follow court proceedings, before they provide a trial date.

Prosecutor Sheillah Mhuru notified the court that the footballers would be furnished with a trial date on May 10.

According to the State outline, Gutu and Mwanjali were at 1+1 Happy Club at Long Cheng Plaza when they decided to leave at around 4am.

When the duo were leaving the complex, Gutu’s Nissan Elgrand van almost collided with Tonderai Nhunzvi’s Toyota Altezza.

In a fit of rage, Gutu approached Nhunzvi’s vehicle accusing him of driving badly before smashing the windscreen with an unknown object.

Nhunzvi, together with his friends Lionel Muchena, Edgar Muchibwa and Marian Chikomo, then began arguing with Gutu as they wanted to go to the nearest police station to settle the matter.

This attracted onlookers to the scene and Mwanjali, who had remained behind in Gutu’s vehicle, also joined the melee.

Mwanjali asked Nhunzvi to explain what had transpired but there was a misunderstanding and the two began exchanging harsh words.

The court heard that Mwanjali went back to Gutu’s van and brought back a knife that he allegedly used to stab Nhunzvi twice in the stomach.

Mwanjali also allegedly cut Muchena on his right thumb when he tried to protect his friend.

The two footballers reportedly fled from the scene after realising they had committed the offence before resurfacing at Milton Park Police Station to report that their vehicle’s tyres had been deflated.

The duo were interviewed and later arrested.

Nhunzvi was rushed to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals where he was hospitalised.

His condition is yet to be ascertained.

Comments are closed.