HARARE – Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) managing director Wilfred Mukondiwa has dismissed reports that the national side will tour Bangladesh in December for a limited overs series.
Talk was rife this week that Zimbabwe was ready to engage the Tigers of Bangladesh in a five-match series and two Twenty20s on the subcontinent.
“It’s all speculative; there’s nothing concrete about that because we haven’t had any communication to that effect,” Mukondiwa told the Daily News.
Zimbabwe’s preparations for the ICC World Twenty20 set for March next year were dealt a heavy blow after ZC cancelled last month’s scheduled tour by Sri Lanka due to financial constraints.
Mukondiwa, however, reiterated that the association was not sitting on its laurels in its effort to prepare for the World T20 extravaganza.
“We have been talking to a number of countries, but nothing has come out of that so far,” he said.
“Negotiations are still going on, but I can’t reveal the countries at this stage.”
Meanwhile, Mukondiwa added that ZC is working flat out to ensure that the domestic franchise league kicks off before the end of the year.
The country’s first-class league, which traditionally starts in September, was rescheduled to November 16.