Sithole rescues DeMbare


CHIREDZI – Dynamos put up a late surge to force a 2-2 draw against an impressive 10-man Triangle at Gibbo Stadium to maintain their pole position at the summit of the Castle Premiership log.

The log leaders had Simba Sithole to thank after the striker headed home the equaliser five minutes before fulltime.

DeMbare and Harare City, who drew 0-0 with Black Rhinos in Kadoma yesterday, both have 49 points but the former has a superior goal difference.

Third placed Highlanders, who drew 1-1 with Motor Action yesterday, are a further point behind with three games to go before the season ends.

At Gibbo, Dynamos did not put up one of their best performances as they were given a tough run by a pretty determined and plucky Triangle side.

The home side began brightly with midfielder Charles Makoto and Walter Mukanga winning most of the balls in the centre of the park restricting Dynamos in their own half.

In the wings, Limited Chikafa and Courage Denias were a constant threat throughout the game forcing the Glamour Boys wingbacks Ocean Mushure and Oscar Machapa to sit back.

Despite their good start, Triangle found themselves behind in the 21st minute when Washington Pakamisa opened the scoring for the visitors.

Dynamos went on an attack led by Patrick Khumbula, who had beaten David Sengu for an aerial ball before squaring for Pakamisa.

Triangle left back Jaison Zembe allowed the Dynamos forward a lot of room to sfire in a low shot past goalkeeper Brighton Chapula.

Triangle were level moments later as they won a penalty straight from the restart when Machapa brought down Denias insde the box.

Misheck Mburayi equalised for the hosts after beating Dynamos keeper George Chigova from the spot.

After the equaliser, action swung from end to end as both side took turns to miss some good chances to take the lead.

Tawanda Muparati came close with a stinging long range shot that was parried for a corner by Chapula.

Sengu was at hand to block another shot from Muparati moments later after the Dynamos midfielder was set up by Boban Zirintusa.

Triangle then took the lead in the 39th minute when Chikafa made the defending champions pay for some sloppy defending.

Mushure failed to deal with a long ball into the Dynamos area allowing Chikafa to sneak in behind to fire past Chigova, who was also badly positioned.

After the breather, Dynamos’ chances of equalising were dealt a heavy blow when Muparati, who was at the heart of most of the Glamour Boys’ threatening moves, was injured.

Muparati was replaced by Farai Mupasiri in the 53rd minute.

Dynamos failed to create any meaningful chances in the second half and coach Calisto Pasuwa hauled off Zirintusa for Sithole with 15 minutes to go.

The move paid off after the former SuperSport United forward headed home Machapa’s cross past Chapula.

Triangle were reduced to 10-man two minutes vefore full time when Pardon Chinungwa received a second yellow card.

Dyanamos coach Calisto Pasuwa was pleased with the result but though his team should have emerged with all three points.

“A point is good considering that Triangle were playing well. We had our chances and we scored but I want to thank the boys for the spirit especially in the second half,” said Pasuwa.

“I wouldn’t want to be seen to be complaining much about officiating but I don’t know if its coincidence or not but in our away games opposite teams are getting penalties early in the first half for diving.

“At Hwange, FC Platinum and now here; it seems we are getting a raw deal or its just coincidence but the officials have the final say since they will be in charge."

Triangle coach Gishon Ntini felt his team should have wrapped up the game in the first half when they had more of the possession.

“A draw is a good result considering we were up against a team that is gunning for the championship,” said Ntini.

“Even when they were down, they kept on probing. We should have wrapped up the game in the first half when we had an upper hand but we failed to utilise our chances.”

Comments are closed.