Harare City edge Buffaloes


HARARE – Harare City kept themselves in the hunt for their first Castle Premiership title after edging Buffaloes 2-1 on Saturday to go on top of the log standings for 24 hours at least.

City are now a point ahead of second placed Highlanders and two points clear of third placed Dynamos, who both clash at Barbourfields Stadium today.

City opened their account through Nathan Ziwini with Jacob Muzokomba pulling one back for Buffaloes before Silas Songani made sure of the points for the Sunshine Boys late in the second half.

The Sunshine Boys coach Bigboy Mawiwi immediately declared his team in with a chance to go all the way and lift the Premiership title.

“Naturally, we are in the championship race; it’s the right time to declare that,” Mawiwi said after the match.

“Naturally, I’m happy with the result, we had never beaten Buffaloes before but we wasted several chances today; we should have buried the match in the first half.”

City went to the breather leading 1-0 courtesy of Ziwini, who finished off Talent Chawapihwa’s telling assist.

Chawapihwa, impressive all afternoon down the left flank, beat Buffaloes defender Bonvolio Mukwena for pace before cutting back an inviting cross to the on rushing Ziwini, who made no mistake from six yard out.

City were back on the prowl again in the 26th minute with Chawapihwa outpacing Phillip Chandisaita before finding Osborne Mukuradare inside the six yard box.

The former Monomotapa striker, however, dragged his effort wide.

The Mutare-based soldiers looked threatening whenever they were in possession with Tawanda Mareya and Muzokomba making some delightful touches in midfield.

It was not until the 58th minute that they would make their first meaningful attempt, Wonder Sithole somehow failing to find the target when he was set through by Steven Sibanda.

But with only the City goalie to beat, an off colour Sithole spurned his effort wide.

Buffaloes where soon on level terms through Muzokomba’s strike in the 60th minute.

Sithole sent in a corner kick that was headed back into the path of Muzokomba by Mareya.

The Sunshine Boys were soon back in the lead through Songani solo effort on 72 minutes.

Muzokomba had a chance to equalise for Buffaloes at the death but his tame effort from close range was kept out by City goalie Maxwell Nyamupanendengu.

Buffaloes coach Timothy Masachi conceded his team was undone by the City wingers Chawapihwa and Songani.

“They were strong on the wings on our part we didn’t take our chances. We need to raise our game,” Masachi said.

Comments are closed.