EDITOR — It takes guts to admit that one was wrong.
Kudos to Morgan Tsvangirai’s MDC for admitting taking eyes off the election ball during the inclusive government.
May I suggest that MDC borrows from conflict resolution studies before it is relegated to political dustbins.
Conflict resolution means a process of resolving dispute or disagreement.
It mainly aims at reconciling opposing arguments in a manner that promotes and protects the human rights of all parties concerned.
According to studies conflict resolution adopts the following five methods:
– problem solving or confrontation in which the two parties work together to find a common solution;
– compromising in which both sides arrive on an agreement about their gain and loss;
– forcing in which the person having power directs a solution for acceptance by the other;
– smoothing in which the major points of agreement are given attention and disagreement between the two sides are not highlighted; and
– withdrawing in which either one or both sides withdraw from conflict.
The term conflict resolution is also known as dispute resolution or alternative dispute resolution.
Other methods adopted for conflict resolution include negotiation, mediation, and diplomacy.
Sometimes arbitration, litigation, and formal complaint processes such as ombudsman processes are also referred to as conflict resolution.
This is just a suggestion.