DeMbare bite the dust


HARARE – How Mine became the first team to boot out Dynamos from the Mbada Diamonds Cup after putting up a polished performance to defeat the defending champions 1-0 in a quarterfinal encounter at Rufaro Stadium on Sunday.

Thembani Masuku’s first half strike was all How Mine needed as they progressed to the semifinals of the richest knock-out tournament in the country.

DOWN AND OUT: Dynamos players and coaching staff look dejected after Sunday’s Mbada Diamonds Cup quarterfinal defeat to How Mine at Rufaro Stadium. Picture: Watson Ofumeli.

The result will put more pressure on Dynamos coach Calisto Pasuwa, who has now seen his team go for three games without a win.

It also marked the end of an era in this competition for the Glamour Boys, who had gone on to win in twice since its inception in 2011. 

After the match Pasuwa was a disappointed man and admitted that his side lacked any fluidity and a cutting edge.

“I think our supply was bad and it’s now pressure; pressure to us,” Pasuwa told reporters after the match.

“We are very, very sad but at the end of the day we say thumbs up to How Mine for a good game.

“It’s a game of football they are three results and unfortunately we lost today. We need to go back and start working on the way forward.

“It is part of the game but it is very unfortunate that as the defending champions we go out during the quarterfinals.”

How Mine coach Philani Ncube was pleased with the way his charges applied his tactics on the pitch as they stifled Dynamos throughout the 90 minutes.

“It’s a pleasure to win against the defending champions. We came here knowing Dynamos’ strategies and we used counter attacks to unsettle them in the midfield,” Ncube said.

"However, Dynamos is a good side unfortunately their finishing is not good. For today definitely experience helped us to win the game and there is no substitute for experience.”

Ncube can be justified for attributing his team’s win to the experience that can be found throughout the How Mine squad.

The backline of goalkeeper Ephraim Mazarura, Hebert Dick, Nyasha Mukumbi, Gilbert Banda, Brighton Dube and Khumbulani Banda was rarely threatened by the DeMbare attack led by the returning Simba Sithole.

After a slow start, the Bulawayo side got into the game as they began to find gaps in the DeMbare half.

The gold miners got the breakthrough in the 28th minute through Masuku’s low strike from the edge of the box that found its way into the net despite the attempts of goalkeeper Artwell Mukandi and defender Partson Jaure to keep it out.

Masuku had been teed up for the shot by Menard Mupera from a free kick at the edge of the box.

How Mine had been awarded the free kick after an infringement on Dick by Oscar Machapa.

Although the incident happened inside box, referee Munyaradzi Majoni awarded the gold miners a free kick on the edge of the box.

Justice eventually prevailed for How Mine as Masuku’s shot from Mupera’s free kick sneaked in at the far post.

The DeMbare players were guilty of ball watching as no one picked up Masuku, who was lurking on the edge of the box before Mupera took the free kick.

Despite going down, Dynamos never raised their tempo in the remainder of the half as they toiled to break down the resolute How Mine defence.

In the second half the script remained the same as How Mine sat deep allowing DeMbare all the possession as they defended in numbers.

Dynamos were guilty of playing the root one ball into the How Mine box but their forward Sithole and Clive Kawinga were never going to get the better of the more physical Dick, Mukumbi and Banda.

The only Dynamos player who was showing some urgency when in possession was winger Cliff Sekete.

The former Gunners man was able to keep the How Mine defenders back pedalling but failed to find a real opening to get an equaliser.

Dynamos’ best chance to equalise fell to Sithole whose shot went over the bar by a few inches after a mistake by Mazarura in the 58th minute.

In the end, the Bulawayo side was able to hold on for a famous win that was greet by large noise and song by the CAPS United supporters, who were occupying the City end of the stadium.

Comments are closed.