Monoz hold toothless DeMbare


HARARE – Dynamos fans vented their frustration by throwing missiles onto the pitch and now risk the club a Premier Soccer League (PSL) fine after their team failed to break down a determined Monomotapa in Sunday’s 0-0 draw at Rufaro Stadium.

In a sad reflection of the latent problem of hooliganism, emotions took the place as empty plastic bottles were hurled onto the pitch in protest over decisions by the referee Batsirai Muchenje in the second half.

DeMbare fans were not happy with some decisions by the match officials and matters were even made worse by their blunt strike force.

After a humiliating 4-2 defeat in the hands of Hwange in a midweek fixture, DeMbare were expected to put their act together against a Monoz side that is fighting relegation.

The result however had little effect on the log table as DeMbare remained on top with 42 points followed by Highlanders and Harare City, who are tied on 41 points from same number of points.

Dynamos coach Calisto Pasuwa made eight changes to the team that lost to Hwange and his decision somehow backfired as the replacements failed to live up to expectations.

“We tried our best. We were not offensive enough in terms of going forward hence we couldn’t score,” Pasuwa said after the match.

“There were some guys who were suspended and others were injured. We also had other changes due to performance. We were not attacking in numbers going forward.

“They played very well (Monomotapa) in the midfield. They were congesting the midfield and we couldn’t penetrate. We still have seven games to go. We need to go back to the drawing board and work on picking three points in our next match.

“I think there is still a lot to play for. We just need to put behind these results and look forward. It’s still a long way to go.”

The match started on a high note with both teams threatening to get an early lead. However it was Dynamos who had the better chances.

Benjamin Marere, who made his first start for Dynamos since he re-joined the club during the mid-season window, Clive Kawinga and Patrick Kumbula all failed to utilise chances that came their way.

On the other hand, Monomotapa had their opportunities too but they could not make them count.

Kawinga almost thrust Dynamos ahead in the 22 minute but his shot from outside the box hit the upright.

The second half saw Monomotapa seizing control and created the better scoring opportunities but somehow they failed to make them count.

Morgen Mungombe fluffed the best chance for Monoz in the 68th minute after he was set up by Ronald Chitiyo on the edge of the box.

Monomotapa coach Biggy Zuze was happy with the point picked and expressed confidence of surviving the chop.

The 2008 champions remained third from bottom with 24 points.


Dynamos: Artwell Mukandi, Blessing Moyo, Augustine Mbara, Gift Bello, Partson Jaure, Stephen Alimenda, Tawanda Muparati, Boban Zirintusa (Cliff Sekete 74th min), Benjamin Marere (Washington Pakamisa 64th min), Patrick Kuumbula (Abel Gwatidzo 51st min), Clive Kawinga

Monomotapa: Tapiwa Zvaita, Ismael Lawe (Carlos Messi 67th min), Charles Rukwanhi, Clive Boroma (Nelson Melson 57th min), Morgan Mungombe, Ronald Chitiyo, Last Sithole, Hillary Mugoniwa, Lawrence Mhlanga, Obey Mwerahari

Comments are closed.