NAIROBI – Kenya has begun three days of national mourning following the end of the four-day siege by Islamist militants on Nairobi's Westgate shopping centre.
In a televised address, President Uhuru Kenyatta said six members of the security forces were among 67 people who had died.
Declaring the siege over, he said five militants had been killed and 11 other suspects arrested.
As the clearing of the mall continues, the number of dead is expected to rise.
Several bodies, including those of some attackers, are thought to be trapped under rubble after three floors of the building collapsed following a blaze.
Kenya's Standard newspaper reported that tens of bodies were removed from the building on Tuesday evening.
Correspondents say the shopping centre lay largely silent overnight and light smoke was still drifting from the building.
In his address, the president praised the response of ordinary Kenyans, calling it exemplary and overwhelming.
"We have ashamed and defeated our attackers," he said. "Kenya has stared down evil and triumphed."
He did not confirm earlier reports that several of the attackers were American and British.
"Intelligence reports had suggested that a British woman and two or three American citizens may have been involved in the attack," said Mr Kenyatta.
"We cannot confirm the details at present. Forensic experts are working to ascertain the nationalities of the terrorists."
He added: "These cowards will meet justice, as will their accomplices and patrons, wherever they are."
At least 18 foreigners are among the dead. They include six Britons as well as citizens from France, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, Peru, India, Ghana, South Africa and China.
About 175 people were wounded including 62 who remain in hospital.