Mi Casa fiasco: Promoter claims innocence
HARARE – The promoter of the flopped Mi Casa music concert which failed to take place in Harare last Thursday says he was as shocked as everyone when the South African group failed to pitch up.
Max Mugaba of May 7 Entertainment told the Daily News yesterday that he did all he could to facilitate the famous South African trio’s maiden performance in Zimbabwe.
“I had done my part to ensure that Mi Casa perform in Zimbabwe”, said Mugaba.
“I was actually surprised at the confusion that started sprouting on social networking sites saying they were no longer coming”.
The May 7 boss blames his South African agent who was negotiating on his behalf with the South African group and Mi Casa’s label Soul Candi for the fiasco.
“I am sure there was a misunderstanding involving my agent who was dealing with them in South Africa.
“My South African agent is still to explain to me what happened because I’m also in the dark.
“I want answers. As May 7 Entertainment, we are going to issue a press statement once I understand what transpired,” Mugaba said.
Several Zimbabwean artistes who had been contracted to perform as supporting acts to the popular Mzansi trio have attacked MAY 7 Entertainment for lacking the courtesy to notify them of Mi Casa’s no-show.
Mugaba, though, claims that the South African group only advised him at the very last moment that they had called off the trip to Harare.
“It is very unfortunate that they informed us at the eleventh hour and there was no time to inform local artistes who were set to perform at the gig. “I am very apologetic for any inconvenience we might have caused,” added Mugaba.
MAY 7 Entertainment claimed yesterday that they had refunded most of the people who had bought tickets for the show.
“We have refunded people their money. Some havasati vauya but just 15 tickets are outstanding”.
The young promoter’s explanations on the ill-fated concert are likely to ring hollow to Zimbabwean fans given the fierce attack on his lack of professionalism by Mi Casa’s management.
Soul Candi attributed Mi Casa’s Harare snub on “the promoter not meeting his contractual obligations”.
“We are extremely disappointed and ensure you that Mi Casa and Soul Candi has done everything in their power to prevent this from happening.
“We hope that Mi Casa will visit Zimbabwe in the not too distant future,” said Soul Candi in a statement.
Local artistes who were in line to share the stage with the South African trio include Winky D, Amara Brown, Cindy, Jnr Brown, Tehn Diamond, Ba Shupi, Trevor Dongo, Synik, Nox, Tateea Da Mc, Tagz ,DJ Flevah, Dee Nosh, DJ Stavo Kwekwe Hustler and Beefy. – Bryn Gumbo