HARARE – The murder trial of 29 Harare residents accused of killing police inspector Petros Mutedza in May 2011 has been deferred to next week Tuesday.
The case was expected to proceed yesterday.
“The transcribed record is not yet ready. They said it would be ready by tomorrow (today),” said Gift Mtisi, who is part of the legal team representing the 29 residents from Harare’s Glen View suburb.
Mtisi said they would need the transcribed record for easy reference when applying for discharge.
The lead counsel Beatrice Mtetwa was not readily available yesterday, as she was separately appearing in court following her arrest on charges of obstructing or defeating course of justice last week.
High Court judge Joseph Musakwa however, freed her on bail meaning she will be available when the Glen View trial returns to court.
Prosecutor Edmore Nyazamba closed the state case on March 11, prompting defence lawyers to give notice that they would apply for the case against the 29 to be dropped.
Out of the 29 suspects, only five remain in remand prison after their bail bid was turned down by judge Chinembiri Bhunu, who ruled that they were a flight risk and that the state had a strong case against them.
The activists are being charged with murder or alternatively public violence as defined in Sections 47 and 36 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act. –