CAPS end drought


HARARE – Double scorer David Rediyoni struck deep into injury time to hand CAPS United a deserved victory over 10-man Hardbody to ease pressure on the struggling Harare giants.

With a 1-1 stalemate looming, overlapping CAPS centre-back Tawanda Munyanduri made a spirited run from deep inside the Makepekepe half and set up first half substitute Rediyoni.

From a very acute and unlikely angle, the former Gunners midfielder lofted the ball into the nets to send the long-suffering CAPS followers into song and dance.

A relieved CAPS coach Taurai Mangwiro praised his team for digging deep for the victory.

“I am glad we got maximum points,” said Mangwiro.

“All along we had been struggling for goals but today we got two. The good thing is we are creating chances.”

Like they have done all season, Makepekepe dominated the opening exchanges, but poor marksmanship let them down.

Striker Clive Kawinga missed a number of clear chances to end his season-long goal drought.

His best chance came in the 11th minute when he stumbled in front of an empty net after being set up by Leonard Fiyadho.

CAPS coach Mangwiro hauled Kawinga off for Rediyoni in the first half.

The former Eagles forward last scored exactly a year ago.

Rediyoni justified the coach’s faith in him by scrambling home from close range an assist from Rahman Kutsanzira. After furiously confronting the linesman over the CAPS goal, Hardbody captain Brian Juru was sent off by referee Langton Chitsa.

But against the run of play, Hardbody equalised following some shambolic defending by CAPS.

The visitors’ striker Jacob Muzokomba was allowed acres of space near the CAPS goal, but his effort hit the upright and rebounded back into the path of substitute Calisto Maheya, who hit the target just a minute after coming on for Richard Jongwe.

After the equaliser, the visitors defended deeply, repulsing attack after attack from the hosts but with a draw looking like a certainty, Rediyoni’s late sweet strike gave CAPS their first victory since June 10.
Ironically, CAPS’ last victory was against Hardbody in Gweru, courtesy of a free kick converted by expelled goalkeeper Edmore Sibanda.

Hardbody coach Godfrey Tamirepi blamed the defeat on poor refereeing.

“I am not happy with the referee,” he said.

“We matched CAPS pound for pound. As long as we have quality referees we will survive relegation.”

Comments are closed.